Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I rent a house from someone. I had let my mom move in and…

Customer Question
I rent a house...

I rent a house from someone. I had let my mom move in and then kicked her out. she hasn't lived here since Oct 30th. she didn't pay rent or help out with bills. Her stuff is still at my house and I want it out. I gave her 30days to get it out and she still wont. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Kasas kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. I also have the same thing going on with my brother. hes been gone since nov 28th. he said since his mom is keeping her stuff here at no cost so is he. he was behind on his rent and everything. every time I try and contact him to get his stuff he wont answer me. he lives somewhere else with my mom and they get food stamps at their new place.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/16/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

You need to send them both written notice telling them that they have 30 days to remove their property and set a specific date. Tell them in the letter if the property is not removed by that date it will be deemed abandoned and it will be disposed of as you deem fit. Then keep copies of the letters and if they do not remove their property, you can put it out to the curb for the trash and you would no longer be responsible for the property.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.