Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I own property in yavapai county. Yavapai county planning…

Customer Question
I own property in yavapai...
I own property in yavapai county. Yavapai county planning and zoning have continually cited me for violations since 2009 when I became windowed, and try as I can on 750.00 a month, I cannot ever come into complete compliance. The complaints come from one neighbor who moved here 12 years ago and is wealthy. Yavapai planning and zoning have now taken me to court in the superior court of yavapai county and got a summary judgment against me for not getting a zoning clearance in 1992, when we built an addition onto my mother's trailer so that I could take care of her. They now have the courts permission to tear down both the original primary structure and the building we erected citing them as a nuisance per second because 24 years ago we didn't obtain a zoning clearance. They are an eyesore but are not a threat to any public safety. I am 70 years old and take care of my 39 year old autistic son. This action will leave us homeless with not enough income to find a place to live. Is this a legal action on a civil suit?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/16/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I am an Arizona licensed Attorney and it will be my pleasure to assist you.

A real property owner is required to be in compliance with zoning laws. The County must follow the exact process as set out in their code for any violations. This is a link for the zoning code http://www.yavapai.us/Portals/0/OrdinancesRegulations/Ordinance-Planning-Zoning.pdf

Generally, when an owner wants to use their property in a manner that does not comply with the local code they apply for a variance.

It appears that you never applied for and/or received a variance. http://www.yavapai.us/Portals/34/Forms/Variance.pdf

If any property owners are negatively impacted by your zoning violation they would be entitled to file a law suit. Nuisance would be the exact civil action that would be filed in this type of matter.

Depending on when summary judgment was entered there may still be time to deal with this situation. Can you attach the court paperwork?

Do you have any additional questions for me?

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney