Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

A tenant moved out and left numerous damages to the rental…

A tenant moved out...

A tenant moved out and left numerous damages to the rental home. Does this automatically breach their contract? And are they entitled to any of their Security Deposit. I have photos and estimates. House is in CA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Everything has been reported to the tenant.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They had satellite dishes drilled into the roof and never asked permission. Scratched hardwood floors, changed plumbing in kitchen, left house a mess with an overflown toilet, trash broke a screen door, etc. stole property from the garage. They are demanding all of their security deposit back. If they left the house like this, I read that it is a Breach of Contract.

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/16/2017
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Not only is it a breach of the lease, it is a breach of the California Landlord Tenant Code.

The tenant is required to return the premises in good condition, reasonable wear and tear excepted.

You can sue the tenant for the repair costs, if it exceeds the security deposit. If the claim does not exceed $10k you can sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer
Thank You. ***** required to show a receipt of all repairs. I showed pictures with Estimates of costs. Damages came to $3200 and the security deposit was $2400. I rented the house before all work could be completed. They were fine with house once it was cleaned and painted.

If deductions have been taken from the security deposit, the landlord is required to provide documents and receipts showing the actual charges that were incurred- materials, labors, cost of hiring someone to do the work, etc.

If the work has not yet been completed, the landlord is required to deduct a good faith estimate as to the cost of the work.

Thank You. ***** Estimates were supplied.

Then you are fine.

Loren, Lawyer