Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If a quick claim deed doesn't have all the witnesses

Customer Question
If a quick claim...

If a quick claim deed doesn't have all the witnesses signatures on it is it still a valid deed

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Huntsville .ga hinesville, ga

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, my mortgage company is telling me that its invalid

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

GA does indeed require a notary and 2 attesting witnesses. Attesting means they actually saw the grantor sign the deed.

If these requirements are not met then the deed is not compliant with the legal requirements and it must be corrected.

what if i no longer want the other person on the deed anymore

The deed is defective if it lacks the witness signatures. It can not be recorded because it is not compliant.

You can redo the deed without the other person.

The only issue will be that if there was a contractual obligation with this person or someone else requiring their inclusion in the deed, you can be liable for breach of contract.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Do I need a lawyer to take this to court....plus does the other person on the invalid deed need to be in court ?

Yes, you would need a lawyer and yes, all parties on the deed would need to be served.

If the other party on the deed has an interest in the claim then they would need to appear.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Can the other person on the deed fight against the deed being legal or not legal
They certainly have the right to defend, but the deed is flawed without required witnesses.
when I go to court about this... I should win ..... even though it was filed that way
I can tell you that the deed is legally flawed.
It’s missing the witness signature for the grantor and it’s missing a signature for one of the grantee..... but it is notarized...
Based on those missing signatures it is flawed.
Is there a real estate law book for ga where I can get that information
Look to the Georgia statutes,

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer