Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Well I have thus roommate, that has a dog which we put on…

Customer Question
Well I have thus...

Well I have thus roommate, that has a dog which we put on the lease, put she leaves the dog locked up for hours and it cries, poops in my house, she forgets to lock the sliding door. I have told her these things put it still happy end, she has two more months on her lease and I am not going to renew it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just what to do and what are my rights

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience Your rights in this case are going to be limited to the terms of the agreement you had with the roommate. as a roommate, you don't have the power to evict the other roommate, unfortunate;y however, you do have the right to exercise your rights under the contract and you also have the right to get the landlord involved. Generally, if the terms of the agreement allow for you to exit the agreement after a certain amount of time, then you should exercise that. If you cannot bear living with her for another two months, and the dog is causing some health hazard or is a significant nuisance, then you should probably rope in the landlord to see what they can do. If there is a serious issue, then the landlord may be able to evict the roommate or order the roommate to stop/begin some behavior to comply with the terms of the lease.

What other questions did you have for me today?

This is my house I am the landlord, what should I do

Gotcha. If you are the landlord, then you have a lot more rights here. What's goign to be important is what the terms of the lease agreement are. If the presence of the dog amounts to keeping an unsanitary environment or if the presence of the person has become such a nuisance that they are no longer complying with the terms of the contract, then you may be able to evict immediately, using a three-day notice to comply with the terms of the agreement or leave the premises. If she doesn't comply within the three days, you will need to go into the terms of your lease and see if you could make an argument as to why she needs to leave. If you have reason to believe that she breached the terms of the lease, you can send her a lease termination notice. If you click here, you can purchase an example of a lease termination notice for only $10.

How or where do I go to do a three day eviction

The best part is that you can go to legalzoom.com, rocketlawyer.com, or you can just type up one on your computer in a Word document. It's relatively simple. Just make sure that she receives the notice and keep a copy for yourself as well.

Ok thank you

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!