Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I moved into my apartment on April 1, 2016. By May 15, 2016,

Customer Question
I moved into my...

I moved into my apartment on April 1, 2016. By May 15, 2016, I have my first documented text message to my landlord, regarding the downstairs tenant calling the police on me for bringing in groceries at 10:15 pm despite the fact she marched up my stairs, knocked on my door, and called me a bitch. When I asked her to calm down, (I had company helping me, as I have a bad back so one of my friends was helping me carry up my groceries) she only escalated. Finally, she said she was going to call the police, so I told her, "go ahead, I have not done anything wrong and I was not unreasonably loud." The police came to the house, asked how long I had been living in my home, I stated 1.5 months, he asked when she moved in, I told him she moved in the same day as I did. The police just grimmaced and thought the call was as petty as I did and left the home without any citations or anything. That was the first of numerous calls. Since then, the police have been called because I have done my laundry after 8pm; I took 4 steps in high heels in my living room; I was having a normal toned conversation in my bedroom located above hers; there was a box with glass located under her laundry shoot that I did not remove quickly enough; etc.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Initially, the landlord could tell she was being petty and told us to figure it out. It is clear, even to the police, she is a nuisance and just calling the police because she has a problem with me. As a result, the landlord has told me I cannot wash clothes after 8:00 pm, dont grocery shop after 10; quiet time after 10pm (which is fine); no conversations in my bedroom during sleep hours, and numerous other restrictions due to her complaining. Orginally, I was compliant, but then, she goes and does the exact things she is complaining about and I am supposed to just deal with it. I have bent over backwards for her to try to keep the peace and for the sake of the landlord. However, now, he is siding with her and trying to say he is going to evict me...FOR WHAT?? I have not done anything thing to warrant this. Also, I have been the one who has suffered all the reprecussions for these calls and complaints and I have been treated like a child and unfairly. Now, that the last call resulted in me defending myself physically, he told me I need to move out by March. I said, thats fine, Happy GHolidays to you too. Then, I asked what the deal was? He said, if I dont move, he will evict me and I will be forced to go. I believe this is harrassment as these two are making my life a living hell and it is hard to live in this environment as I suffer with depression, anxiety and panic. This has only made things worse for me. South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I have text messages to the landlord documenting each time she called the police, I am picking up the police reports or whatever they are for each call made on me, and I am angry. I feel violated, misunderstood, and mistreated. Lastly, the police told me she told them I was getting evicted!!! H How would she know that! Unless he told her this. I feel like I am being bullied and it is hard to go through this. I am currently in the midst of filing for disability, my ailments are bad enough that I have been unable to keep a job for more than 60 days in the last 5 years and this has just made things worse for me. Now, he is threatening to ruin my name, soil my rental record, and put me out into a homeless state.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that covers it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 7 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation,

Would the threats of eviction and the constant calls to the police department considered harassment?

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

The answer is yes. However, under the circumstances, it would be prudent to find alternate housing and move out. Nonetheless, you do not have to move out at the expiration of the eviction notice. There is no self-remedy to eviction case. At the expiration of the notice, the Landlord cannot change your locks or shut off your utilities in order to force you out. The Landlord must use the Court system to accomplish the eviction. The Landlord must file eviction action in Court and serve you with the summons and a copy of the Complaint so that you can file your answer and tell the Court your side of the case. You can obtain answer form at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.