Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am buying a house i entered into a purchase agreement i…

Customer Question
I am buying a house...
I am buying a house i entered into a purchase agreement i put up a good faith deposit . There is a clause that allows me to get an inspection with in ten days. I have done that but since we had snow the roof could not be inspected at all and that concerns me . I do not feel comfortable with this purchase and want to back out . There are some flaws according to the inspection one is termite damage to the garage and some other things like leaks and other misc things. Can i back out using just the simple argument tat i just don't like the house based the inspections and or also based upon the fact that i can not inspect the roof right now? My concern is i want my deposit back so can i back out even if the buyers have verbally declared they are willing to fix the problems but not the roof at all because no one knows the condition of the roof
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Bruce Schreiber, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Bruce Schreiber

Welcome & thank you for your question. I am the professional that will be assisting you. I am reviewing your question & will be with you shortly.

It depends upon the terms of the contract. If the contract gave you the right to back out if you were not satisfied with the results of the inspection, then the fact that the roof could not be inspected is immaterial. If however, the contract gave the Seller's the right to agree to rectify any inspection issues, then you must take the position that the weather made the inspection impossible and thus one of the terms of the contract became a legal impossibility.