Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a very serious issue with the management office of my…

Customer Question
I have a very...

I have a very serious issue with the management office of my condo. I lease a unit here. It is related to my service dog. Can you help me?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida 33019

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

What paperwork? not sure what you mean...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know if you can help with situations like this

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/14/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

the condo association - AKA Management- are charging me for 6 violations ( 100 each) all at the same time for walking my dog at the lobby. I never ever received a letter or email about any of these violations. And all of a sudden my landlord contacts me to let me know that I owe 600 dollars. That same day that the landolord notified me, they denied me access to the building. I went to the management office in tears asking them to not let me out of my home apartment, and the office manager started yelling at me asking me to get out of the office because it was Friday and she said the only way for me to get my fob activated again for building access was to pay those 600 dollars. I started crying and she took my purse and some shopping bags that I had with me and put them out of the office. I left the office crying that night. They blocked my fob for the building and the parking lot. I hired a lawyer, he sent them a letter and they never replied back to the lawyers letter. But the next day, they gave me access to the building. I asked them to show me proof of walking my dog and they never showed me anything. They basically don't have proof of that happening, because if anything I have carried my dog in my arms while crossing through the lobby, but I haven't WALKED my dog through the lobby. This all happened about 4 months ago and I never heard back form them again after they received my lawyers letter. I was prescribed (by certified physician) a service dog in 2012, but just until 2 weeks ago I went online and got the certification that they sell... I then sent an email to the condo's association (again this is two weeks ago) letting them know that my dog was a service dog and asking them to please refund the 250 usd that I had paid for the right to have my dog living w me. They replied back saying that wasn't a refundable fee, so I sent another email asking them to send me documentation showing rules regarding service dogs.. One week later and I've heard nothing from anyone at the condo's management office.. So yesterday in the afternoon, I went to their office and told them they were not doing their job and that I needed an answer to my email. The office manager started yelling at me and pushed me out of the office, I immediately went upstairs to my apartment and sent a note saying that I was leaving record of verbal abuse. Today I was walking out of the elevator and this same office manager pushed me while I was getting off the elevator. I then sent a note saying I was leaving record of physical aggression towards me. Her pushing me happened today at 5:17 PM ET and I wrote an email leaving writing proof of what just happened. I am desperate, they are telling me that they wont let me leave the building of I don't pay the 600 dollars and that they are sending me another fine because I was abusive with them last night. When I was the one been yelled at and pushed out of their office!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, the Fair Housing Act and the ADA prohibits landlords from discriminating against people who have disabilities. If a person has a service dog, they must be allowed in, even if there is a no pets policy. The landlord can put reasonable restrictions only if the animal causes some unreasonable health hazard to other people. If you are being fined or harassed as a result, then they could be facing stiff fines in addition to civil liability.

What should I do then? Who do I contact to help me with this? I contacted a local lawyer and is charging me 6 K to help me with this. I don't have that kind of money. How do I report them with the Fair Housing Act?
hello?

The Housing and Urban Development department actually has offices in FL to assist. IF you click here, you can file a complaint today,describing what's going on. It's free and they can help you out more than a lawyer would who is going to charge you such a high amount of money.

Thank you! Do I file a complaint against the management office and the individual that has verbally and physically harassed me?

Was the individual apart of the management office?

is the office manager

Gotcha. If you file a complaint, everyone in the office will be included. Did you have any other questions for me?

no that's all - thank you for your help!

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!