Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm a flooring installation contractor, I submitted a

Customer Question
I'm a flooring installation...

I'm a flooring installation contractor,

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

I submitted a proposal to do a flooring installation, payment terms were $1750.00 initial deposit when material delivered, demo & install begins, another $1750.00 when 50

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

When 50% of the floor has been laid, balance on completion, we started the work, owner did not pay initial deposit, when we were 50% completed, owner didn't pay the 2nd deposit, job completed, sent invoice, owner was not happy with the installation & did not pay, he had the distributor look at the floor & supposedly a moisture test should have been done & the skim coat under the vinyl planks may have caused the tiles to appear dull.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Since I have not been paid any monies, do I have a legal contract with the owner, can I walk away from this job & not go back to do any repairs?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
I'm in Hawaii
12/14/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. You can have a legal claim against the owner if you substantially finished the project and the owner is not paying you. By the way, are you licensed or was one needed? Was a permit required? The reason I am asking is that possibly you can place a mechanic's lien on the home or building. If you have not been paid as per the agreement, you can stop the work.

We can continue to discuss this. Let me know your further questions if you have any or if you need clarification.

I'm a Licensed contractor , no permit required, my primary issue is that the owner wants all new material to be installed, the material will probably be around $4-5,000.00, I don't want to go back remove the material I installed, pay for new material & have it installed, what I'm hoping for is that you tell me I can just walk away
Sorry, I don't have the time right now to call

That's fine. Hold, please.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you a legal opinion. Just Answer is not a law firm. There is no attorney-client relationship or privilege. For a legal opinion, you would have to hire a private attorney. Sorry about that.

Tina, Lawyer