Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I need to sue my landlord for not following the ADA federal…

Customer Question
Hi i need to...

Hi i need to sue my landlord for not following the ADA federal law for accessible design. that caused health psychological damage.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am quadriplegic and this has being going on for 4 month

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/14/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

I am 56 years old quadriplegic patient suffering from PPMS Multiple Sclerosis. I handed the manager of my apartment Complex a request to change my bathroom tub into a walk-in accessible shower according to “2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design.” That occurred back on Aug. 13, just after I was released from hospital because of pneumonia infection associated with an MS flare up. I explained to the manager, in a written letter, that because of my health set back it was getting very difficult for me and extremely painful getting into the tub using my shower chair, which in turn made me prone to more MS flare-ups.During the next few days, the manager responded by sending three different contractors to do the evaluation for the bath tub modification. Afterwards, I have never heard any news for the rest of the month. I called several times, and the manager assured me that everything was on the move. On Sep. 12, i.e. after about one month of my request, the manager handed me a pre-approval form and told me that it is my responsibility to bring the contractor to do the work.Subsequently, I obtained a grant through “The ***** ***** Barrier Removal Program” provided by Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs.
During, the past two weeks, the contractor “IBTS” was trying to obtain a tenant agreement from the manager, in order to do the modification, but the manager kept stalling and never signed it.Because of the four months delay since my request for the modification, the negligence of the manager, the disregard of the federal ADA law, and disability discrimination, I experienced the following:
1- Excruciating pain as I was getting transferred three times weekly in and out of the tub.
2- Exacerbation of my MS because of the weekly painful transfer. I experienced many MS flare ups during the past few months. I am taking Steroid tablets daily since then.
3- Feeling of infringement of my legal rights as disabled.Therefore, I would like to sue my landlord (Gables Metropolitan Uptown) for:
- Not abiding by the federal ADA rules.
- The permanent health and psychological damage their management has caused me.
- Infringement of my disability right and discrimination against me because I am disabled.Please note I have all the e-mail and other related communication documents.Could you please advise me how to proceed?

Great, thank you! There's quite a bit here to here to read so please bear with me a moment while I review…

Have you considered a fair housing complaint.