Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My company had a month to month tenancy with no lease for 18…

Customer Question
My company had a...

My company had a month to month tenancy with no lease for 18 years. The company could no longer pay the rent. I received an email from the landlord to vacate in a week. Subsequently, the landlord sued my company for back rent and also me personally. I never leased the space personally, nor did I ever pay the rent personally. the company is closing the end of this year, but I am not personally responsible for the rent.I need to defend myself against a judgment

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey, Morris County

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I need to speak with an attorney

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/14/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: KLAW, Arbitrator replied 8 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Arbitrator
Good morning. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today
You would not be liable for the back rent personally unless you signed a guarantee for the business. Legally just being an owner of a business on a commercial lease does not make you liable for rental arrears. If you are served with eviction summons you should appear in court and raise the defense that you did not sign a personal guarantee on the lease.If the landlord did commence an action against the business in court already you should retain a local attorney to raise your defense in the action against your personal liability. I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question