Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

In a mortgage on a condo that is jointly owned by where both…

In a mortgage on...

In a mortgage on a condo that is jointly owned by where both spouses are cosigners on the mortgage, how can one spouse get their name removed from the mortgage?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes, they have owned the condo for about a year and a half and condo is under water.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They are both signers on the mortgage. One spouse wants to not be on the mortgage any longer. is that possible. They are not contemplating divorce (yet).

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/14/2017
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

It is possible. The spouse that wants to keep the home and the mortgage will have to ask the current mortgage lender or ANOTHER lender to approve a refinance, where the other spouse's name gets taken off.

A lot of times, in a divorce, the party that GETS the home is ORDERED to attempt to refinance within a certain amount of time. If this fails, the home may be sold, for example.

So this refinancing action may be done with a court order, or, without one.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Question: if the couple decide to sell the condo and it is underwater, is there anyway they can legally get out of having to pay the difference between the selling price and what's owed?

Sorry, but no. Not unless the amount they receive covers the amount owed. If not, they will continue to owe the difference.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law