Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

It not bankruptcy but I have a judgment against prproperty…

Customer Question
It not bankruptcy...

It not bankruptcy but I have a judgment against prproperty in Appomattox arising outa construction dispute. This happen 10 yrs ago. I file complaint it went arbritation and court the builder my ex brother inlaw won

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

FLa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?

The judgment was filed in Appomattox County and two yrs later filed against a property I own in Charlotte County. I never knew about Judgment in Charlottle until a month ago when I was going get some money on the property and the lien showed up. I want to vacate judgment because Iwas never inform by the attorney or court system.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well does attorney practice in Appomattox, Charlotte county areas of Va

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 6 days by:
12/20/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

In Florida - a judgment from another state has to be "domesticated" by filing a new case in the Florida courts to enforce the judgment. In the new Florida case, the judgment and case filing must be served on you. You have 30 days to object to the judgment being filed in Florida. Sounds like that was not done.

By recording the Va judgment as a lien on your FL property, that is slander of title. The judgment is not valid because it was not domesticated properly. However, to remove the lien - you will need to file a quiet title action asking the court to remove the lien.

Hope that helps. Anything else, please reply. Otherwise, a 5-star rating would be greatly appreciated.

Lori
Lori
Lori, Lawyer