Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I repaired outside cracks in townhome which cost $250.00…

Customer Question
I repaired outside cracks...

I repaired outside cracks in townhome which cost $250.00 with a license contractor I notified repairs were done in timely manner to the mgmt .I never received a reply. A year later, I received a bill from HOA stating they did the cracks repairs,the bill $900.00 if I do not pay HOA will put a lien on the property. It is impossible for severe cracks to appear a month later.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Kissimmee, Fl

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet, They told me, regardless of what I said I have to pay. I was never notified,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can they do repairs without my kowledge

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/13/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Generally, they are allowed to make repairs; however, if repairs were already made and you already sent them notice that the repairs were made, but they still made repairs anyway, then this appears to be a classic breach of contract on the grounds that you already performed your duty in making the repairs, but you are being charged anyway. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Tina, Lawyer