Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have tenants in a month to month lease situation (in new…

Second opinion] I have tenants...
Second opinion] I have tenants in a month to month lease situation (in new hampshire) and have provided them a new list of rules and regulations to sign, the deadline to return them is tomorrow, at which point I would like to send them a certified mail demand to return the new rules, i was hoping for some language i could use for the demand, as well as know if the certified demand letter expires, if i can begin the eviction process.
12/13/2017
RealEstateAnswer
Good morning. Do you know if they will agree to these?
No, I do not know- I am assuming by their lack of response at this point that they are not agreeing
Thank you and please allow me a moment to respond
Thank you
In a situation like this a landlord would want to make the tenant aware that as a result of their month to month lease the tenancy can be terminated with a proper 30 day written notice. As a result , they need to sign and return the changes by X date or else you will treat that as a rejection and will follow up and proceed with the proper notice to end the month to month tenancy. The goal is to make them aware that if they want to stay they need to agree and return this or else they will be asked to vacate in 30 days.
Thank you for the prompt response. One follow up question to that. I've never had leases, all tenants are made aware when they move in that they are on a month to month basis, this is both a benefit to them and me. The only thing that I make them sign when they move in is the attached rules and an application. Should I be doing anything else?

You are welcome. The only thing you may want to do is add language that the signing of the rules does not constitute any type of lease term, outside of a month to month tenancy. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

RealEstateAnswer