Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Can a tenant in New Jersy unilaterally renew a lease for the…

Customer Question
Can a tenant in...

Can a tenant in New Jersy unilaterally renew a lease for the full term of the lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No signe lease

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/13/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Does the lease have anything stated within, that would allow the tenant to do this and exercise that option?

no

Thank you and sorry for the delay. No, the tenant can not unilaterally do this. Absent language in the lease that would allow the tenant to exercise their right and renew the lease at their discretion, they could not do so. Both parties would need to agree and if they do not and the tenant remains they would be holding over and would need to be evicted.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Tina, Lawyer