Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Story short: my town crushed my sewage pipes and flooded my…

Customer Question
Long story short: my town...
Long story short: my town crushed my sewage pipes and flooded my entire first floor. They have taken blame and offered me a settlement which does NOT include pain and suffering for the stress this has caused, has not covered my loss of wages, has NOT covered any laundry fees I’ve incurred since i no longer have a laundry facility in my room that’s operable, and is offering me depreciated value.I feel they should not give me depreciated value bc i shouldn’t have to put a penny out of pocket. I’m a single mom and live paycheck to paycheck I’ll never be able to afford to replace everything as it was at a depreciated rate! Plus why shouldn’t i get loss of wages? It’s only about 15 hours but that’s a lot for me and my son esp at Xmas. And again why shouldn’t they have to pay my laundry fees since now i spend money and time traveling to and from and paying to have it done! This has caused me such heartache and headache since 12/2/17. I don’t want to go thru a lawyer and drag this out but i can’t accept their current offer without the items i listed. Am i being reasonable on a legal stand point? And is pain and suffering something the towns insurance company even allowed to payout? Thanks so much!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/13/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago
Michael Bradley

pain and suffering is not something that an insurance company compensates for without filing suit

it is also something that is hard to prove and quantify

in reality it is something you would need an attorney to help you with

depreciation is something that insurance companies normally calls for based on the date of the items being replaced and/or fixed

If this was a freak accident caused by the town. Should i really be subject to depreciation? I mean I’m a single parent of a seven year old severely ill autistic child. Every penny counts in my life and i will never be able to replace any of the lost items if i don’t get the exact amount of what was destroyed. Am i being unreasonable? This is basically going to be the reason we settle or end up in court
Real Estate Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago
Unfortunately, that is the standard that the insurance agency follows. They really do not look too case-by-case issues or problems that they may cause. I truly feel for you and what you are going through since you were really nothing but a victim in this and b-town is 100% of fault. The only thing I can suggest that you do would be contact the adjuster to see if they are willing to increase the claim that would help you increase what you receive or contact someone through the town as well. However, I do think that the only thing you're going to be able to do to truly receive more money would be to file suit