Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I sold a house in Michigan. After I moved to Florida the…

Customer Question
I sold a house...

I sold a house in Michigan. After I moved to Florida the people that bought the house said there was water leak in the basement. I had no problems with water leaking in the basement. I tried to have them let my realtor come out to the house to see the water. They never let her. My realtor and I tried several times to resolve the issue. I wanted them to get quotes, have someone come out and check the basement. They never did. Instead they filed a small claim in court. I cannot leave my new job and go to Michigan for this. Can I hire a lawyer?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Also it is good to mention that I bought the house three years before I sold it to take my job here in Florida. Both times and inspection was done and no water noted. The people I bought the house from noted on the disclosure that as long as the downspouts were clear and pointed away from the house they had no water issues and I never had water issues in the basement. They did also sign an as-is document at closing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I was served with a court date in small claims for January 29th.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is all the information I have

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/13/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You can hire an attorney, but you will still have to appear in court to tell your side of things because an attorney can't testify for a client.. So you would have to go back and appear in court if you have been properly served with a summons or risk them getting a default judgment against you..

.

.

thanks

They can't testify for me but are there any other options? I have documents, emails, etc. Plus the as is agreement. I just can't be there personally. A lawyer can't enter the documents and tell the court that I have 20 special needs/medically fragile kids that I am the Director for and can't leave them with no RN at short notice?

The attorney could get a continuance for a hearing, but that is probably the best they could do...They can't present your case without you to testify that you had no water issues when you were there, there was no evidence of water, and you sold it as is... You have to be there to tell the judge that..

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much