Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am currently in fear of my location with the tenants below…

Customer Question
I am currently in...

I am currently in fear of my location with the tenants below me. They are a gang members and have brought other gang members into this apt complex. The fear of safety has become a great concern and I am feeling very vulnerable. The office will do nothing and we have called the police on numerous occassions ..... please can you help?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

I am in Sun Valley, NV. Outside of Reno. Sierra Apartments 4400 El Rancho Drive and I live in apt A229; Sun Valley, NV 89433

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I am not sure a police office spoke with me today. The first Criminal that lived below me is now in jail. This is the second issue I have had with criminals infiltrating this apt complex. The man prior to the gangs name was Akporode Uwedjojevwe (Rudy) from Nigeria. The complex told me that it was my problem. This man is now in Jail in Nevada.... prostitution....etc.....

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Now there is a gang group. How does this happen?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/12/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Whether you are able to do anything depends in part on whether these individuals have done anything to disturb your peace while you've been living in the place. If that is the case, then this appears to be a violation of the implied covenant (promise) of quiet enjoyment. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied covenant of quiet enjoyment. Under the implied covenant of quiet enjoyment, it states that the landlord will not take any action or make any omission which disturbs a tenant’s right to possession and quiet enjoyment of the premises. The warranty does not protect the tenant from the acts of third parties over whom the landlord has no control. However, if the landlord does have control over the situation, but chooses to do nothing, then it is a violation. In this case, if the landlord has the option to not rent to convicted felons (assuming they are) or known gang members, and their actions have caused you some sort of harm (e.g. vandalism, theft, etc.), then you have the option to move out of the building until the landlord fixes the matter.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?