Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a question that is regarding an eviction notice for…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a question that is regarding an eviction notice for non-payment of rent in Washoe County, Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

The notice was dated December 1, and states the amount of $1400 + $100 late fee - I received an email from the owner that there is a lockout scheduled for 2pm today, 12/12, unless i have a payment of $3600 at 2pm when someone arrives for the lockout. I am confused about the amounts and what my options are at this point.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have a notice of eviction for non-payment of rent dated December 1.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont believe so. thank you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/12/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Did the landlord file for eviction or did they just send a demand for rent to be paid and since it was not, is trying to lock you out, on their own?

I have a notice of eviction for non-payment of rent, filed in Washoe County on December 01 for the amount $1400 + $100 fees - I received email communication with the landlord stating that he was giving me until Jan 1 to be out of the property on the same day that the notice was filed.I received another email from the landlord stating:
This notice was instructed by City of Sparks Court that 540 Costa Azul Dr. Sparks, NV. 89436 will be on Dec 12, 2017. Shall you still wish to stay in my condo then please pay the total of $3,650.00 cashier check on Dec 12, 2017 (TUE) @2:00PM on site.I am very confused on what my options are at this point.

If rent is past due and owed, it needs to be paid in full, along with any late fees and court costs. It appears the landlord may want the past due rent and rent for the next month, to dismiss/stop the eviction proceedings and if you are unsure, you must contact them and ask what is going on and why the amount changed. You also need to see if an eviction was ordered by the court. I say this because if it was not the landlord has no legal right to change the locks and kick you out. The statute is clear and I have provided it below for your review.

NRS 118A.480  Landlord’s recovery of possession of dwelling unit.  The landlord shall not recover or take possession of the dwelling unit by action or otherwise, including willful diminution or interruption or causing or permitting the diminution or interruption of any essential item or service required by the rental agreement or this chapter, except:

1.  By an action for possession or other civil action or summary proceeding in which the issue of right of possession is determined;

2.  When the tenant has surrendered possession of the dwelling unit to the landlord; or

3.  When the tenant has abandoned the dwelling unit as provided in NRS 118A.450.

(Added to NRS by 1977, 1342; A 2011, 239)

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!