Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in Michigan, I stay with a girlfriend from

Customer Question
I live in Michigan...

I live in Michigan, I stay with a girlfriend from time-to-time but do not reside with her. Her landlord has been leaving me threatening notes on my care asking me to pay him for staying with her. I am not so sure he claims her rent as her agreement is only written. Is there laws that he should abide by? Something I can say that will help me defend myself as I don't reside with her.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Ann Arbor, Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing that I can think of, he has harassed my girlfriend since she has taken up residence and this guy clearly is a little unstable.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/12/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Is there anything in her lease that prohibits guests from staying over or limits the amount of time someone can stay over?

.

Is she under a fixed term written lease or is she month to month?

.

.

thanks

She is month to month, nothing stayed in the agreement.

Then you can simply respond that you have your own place and that there is nothing in her agreement that would prohibit her from having overnight guests..

.

She isn't violating the lease in any way by having you over so there is nothing the landlord can do about it but complain.

.

If you wanted to be more stern, you can threaten to file suit for harassment if he continues on with his actions..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Thank you, ***** ***** see what I can do with this.Have a great day.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much