Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

In New York City, does a co-operative board have the right…

Customer Question
In New York City...

In New York City, does a co-operative board have the right to start charging fines of $250-$500 for violations of House Rules? The fines were voted in by the board, without any shareholder referendum. Also, even if fines are permitted, what due process is required to allow tenant-shareholders to defend themselves?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York State.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No court process. I have received notice from my building that I owe fines, but was not offered the opportunity to defend myself. Also, there is the more basic question of whether the board has any right to start charging fines without a referendum.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that summarizes it well.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/12/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I would need to see your coop by-laws to see what the requirements are for approval of such a change.