Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

In condominium association all parts of building and stairs…

Customer Question
In condominium association all...

In condominium association all parts of building and stairs exteriors (aesthetic and structural) have to be maintain by HOA or individual owners?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/11/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 5 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

The association is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of all common areas as that would be an unfair burden to place on an individual owner; please see the relevant statute:

718.113 Maintenance; limitation upon improvement; display of flag; hurricane shutters and protection; display of religious decorations.—

(1) Maintenance of the common elements is the responsibility of the association. The declaration may provide that certain limited common elements shall be maintained by those entitled to use the limited common elements or that the association shall provide the maintenance, either as a common expense or with the cost shared only by those entitled to use the limited common elements. If the maintenance is to be by the association at the expense of only those entitled to use the limited common elements, the declaration shall describe in detail the method of apportioning such costs among those entitled to use the limited common elements, and the association may use the provisions of s. 718.116 to enforce payment of the shares of such costs by the unit owners entitled to use the limited common elements.

(2)(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, there shall be no material alteration or substantial additions to the common elements or to real property which is association property, except in a manner provided in the declaration as originally recorded or as amended under the procedures provided therein. If the declaration as originally recorded or as amended under the procedures provided therein does not specify the procedure for approval of material alterations or substantial additions, 75 percent of the total voting interests of the association must approve the alterations or additions. This paragraph is intended to clarify existing law and applies to associations existing on October 1, 2008.

(b) There shall not be any material alteration of, or substantial addition to, the common elements of any condominium operated by a multicondominium association unless approved in the manner provided in the declaration of the affected condominium or condominiums as originally recorded or as amended under the procedures provided therein. If a declaration as originally recorded or as amended under the procedures provided therein does not specify a procedure for approving such an alteration or addition, the approval of 75 percent of the total voting interests of each affected condominium is required. This subsection does not prohibit a provision in any declaration, articles of incorporation, or bylaws as originally recorded or as amended under the procedures provided therein requiring the approval of unit owners in any condominium operated by the same association or requiring board approval before a material alteration or substantial addition to the common elements is permitted. This paragraph is intended to clarify existing law and applies to associations existing on the effective date of this act.

(c) There shall not be any material alteration or substantial addition made to association real property operated by a multicondominium association, except as provided in the declaration, articles of incorporation, or bylaws as originally recorded or as amended under the procedures provided therein. If the declaration, articles of incorporation, or bylaws as originally recorded or as amended under the procedures provided therein do not specify the procedure for approving an alteration or addition to association real property, the approval of 75 percent of the total voting interests of the association is required. This paragraph is intended to clarify existing law and applies to associations existing on the effective date of this act.

(3) A unit owner shall not do anything within his or her unit or on the common elements which would adversely affect the safety or soundness of the common elements or any portion of the association property or condominium property which is to be maintained by the association.

(4) Any unit owner may display one portable, removable United States flag in a respectful way and, on Armed Forces Day, Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, and Veterans Day, may display in a respectful way portable, removable official flags, not larger than 41/2 feet by 6 feet, that represent the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard, regardless of any declaration rules or requirements dealing with flags or decorations.

(5) Each board of administration of a residential condominium shall adopt hurricane shutter specifications for each building within each condominium operated by the association which shall include color, style, and other factors deemed relevant by the board. All specifications adopted by the board must comply with the applicable building code.

(a) The board may, subject to s. 718.3026 and the approval of a majority of voting interests of the residential condominium, install hurricane shutters, impact glass, code-compliant windows or doors, or other types of code-compliant hurricane protection that comply with or exceed the applicable building code. However, a vote of the owners is not required if the maintenance, repair, and replacement of hurricane shutters, impact glass, code-compliant windows or doors, or other types of code-compliant hurricane protection are the responsibility of the association pursuant to the declaration of condominium. If hurricane protection or laminated glass or window film architecturally designed to function as hurricane protection that complies with or exceeds the current applicable building code has been previously installed, the board may not install hurricane shutters, impact glass, code-compliant windows or doors, or other types of code-compliant hurricane protection except upon approval by a majority vote of the voting interests.

(b) The association is responsible for the maintenance, repair, and replacement of the hurricane shutters, impact glass, code-compliant windows or doors, or other types of code-compliant hurricane protection authorized by this subsection if such property is the responsibility of the association pursuant to the declaration of condominium. If the hurricane shutters, impact glass, code-compliant windows or doors, or other types of code-compliant hurricane protection are the responsibility of the unit owners pursuant to the declaration of condominium, the maintenance, repair, and replacement of such items are the responsibility of the unit owner.

(c) The board may operate shutters, impact glass, code-compliant windows or doors, or other types of code-compliant hurricane protection installed pursuant to this subsection without permission of the unit owners only if such operation is necessary to preserve and protect the condominium property and association property. The installation, replacement, operation, repair, and maintenance of such shutters, impact glass, code-compliant windows or doors, or other types of code-compliant hurricane protection in accordance with the procedures set forth in this paragraph are not a material alteration to the common elements or association property within the meaning of this section.

(d) Notwithstanding any other provision in the residential condominium documents, if approval is required by the documents, a board may not refuse to approve the installation or replacement of hurricane shutters, impact glass, code-compliant windows or doors, or other types of code-compliant hurricane protection by a unit owner conforming to the specifications adopted by the board.

(6) An association may not refuse the request of a unit owner for a reasonable accommodation for the attachment on the mantel or frame of the door of the unit owner of a religious object not to exceed 3 inches wide, 6 inches high, and 1.5 inches deep.

(7) Notwithstanding the provisions of this section or the governing documents of a condominium or a multicondominium association, the board of administration may, without any requirement for approval of the unit owners, install upon or within the common elements or association property solar collectors, clotheslines, or other energy-efficient devices based on renewable resources for the benefit of the unit owners.

That is available here:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0718/Sections/0718.113.html

In re Petition for Declaratory Statement Molokai Villas Condo. Ass’n, Inc., if a condominium declaration makes an item the unit owners’ responsibility, the declaration provision is superseded by the Act and the Condo association remains responsible for the damage. That is addressed here:

(4) ASSESSMENTS; MANAGEMENT OF COMMON ELEMENTS.—The association has the power to make and collect assessments and to lease, maintain, repair, and replace the common elements or association property; however, the association may not charge a use fee against a unit owner for the use of common elements or association property unless otherwise provided for in the declaration of condominium or by a majority vote of the association or unless the charges relate to expenses incurred by an owner having exclusive use of the common elements or association property.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0718/Sections/0718.111.html

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

I asked specific question, but answer was in general ....
Sorry, I'm not satisfied...

The statute states it must be maintained by the HOA and not by the individual owner; did you need clarifiaction on that? I can't get much more specific than including the statute that addresses it.

This statement summarized it:

The association is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of all common areas as that would be an unfair burden to place on an individual owner; please see the relevant statute

But please let me know if you need further clarification as I know how confusing the law can be.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator