Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have tenants that are not paying rent and they have done…

Customer Question
I have tenants that...

I have tenants that are not paying rent and they have done damage that I paid for. I will over draft heavily this month and next month I wont even have enough money to cover my mortgage

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Mass.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

One of the tenants who caused the damage is now in jail for a warrant and the other one is still there... she asked if her friend could stay with her while he was in jail and I said yes, but now I want him out.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/11/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. If the rent is not paid and there is damage to the rental, a demand can be made to the tenant to pay the past due rent and fix the damage. If it is not paid, you would need to proceed and evict, to take back possession of the rental and get ALL parties out. Moreover, you could sue for the cost of repair for the damage, if the security deposit does not cover it.

I was wondering about if I would have my utilities turned off for not being able to pay...how long does eviction take? I told them that they had to leave at the end of the month
anyone home

Yes, sorry for the delay.

An eviction could take a few weeks. A landlord can not use self-help to get a tenant removed but if you can not pay the bill and the utilities get shut off, they may have to vacate.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Tina, Lawyer