Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My landlord evicted me for non payment of rent.I am on time…

Customer Question
My landlord evicted me...

My landlord evicted me for non payment of rent.I am on time every month and I put the money order in his mailbox like always.I have the money stubs to prove it and he told me he did not get the rent so he evicted me.What can I do even told me I'm never late.WHAT CAN I DO

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

WEST HAVEN CT

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

YES

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes I am a handicapped person and my daughter is also .I KNOW I PUT THEM IN THE BOX.ITS THE BOX THAT HAS THE BARS IN IT AND YOU CANNOT STICK YOUR HANDS IN IT.SO SHOULD I PAY IT AGAIN OR WHAT AHOULD I DO

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/11/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Are you able to report the money order as stolen/missing? Did the landlord provide you with a notice to cure or vacate?

If you are able to report this and get the money back, you may want to simply advance and pay the rent again and wait for the refund. The rent is going to be due and owed and if you do not pay it the landlord can proceed with the eviction. You could try and argue that the rent was paid when delivered and you always drop it as instructed, in the box and it would be up to the Judge to decide if it was received, to where you do not owe anything else. However, if you do not have a lease and rent month to month, the landlord could end the tenancy or if you have a lease, not renew it, so you need to consider that

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!