Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I need to get proceeds from the sale of marital property…

Customer Question
I need to get...

I need to get proceeds from the sale of marital property (home) frozen. My ex-spouse has not paid for over 5 years since legal separation, but lived in the house for 17 months. I never lived in the house. when I tally up all the house notes and equity line of credit she owes me after proceeds of sale. She agreed to sign agreement showing all proceeds to me. Now at the last minute has changed her mind and feels she deserves something. The property is in Louisiana a community property state.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Initially to lawyer who did my divorce. He said she owes me and if she didn't sign the agreement I could go after her for the total amount. But I haven't spoken to him again since then. I have left a message for him but no call back yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The closing is happening very soon. Within the next week. Should I try to get an order to freeze proceed to allow enough time to deal with her. She also has very bad credit. Can one of her debtors take any of the proceeds before I can get what is owed to me?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/11/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you. Are you on the title/deed to the house?

If you are still on title the proceeds cannot be distributed without your signature. Have you been in contact with the title company that is closing the transaction?

Not yet . I am getting the name and number from the agent
Don’t want to hold up the sale. Can the closing still proceed

When you are still on title your signature is required to legally transfer the title upon the sale. Where are you located so if your Attorney fails to respond I can have a real estate Attorney in your area assist you?

I’m relocated to Maryland but the sale will occur in Louisiana and i’m planning on flying down. New Iberia Louisiana to be exact. It’s about 20 miles south of Lafayette

Great. Let me provide a link for Attorneys in that area. I am very happy that you will be attending.

Ok great thank you

Please also contact the title company to make sure they know that you will be attending the closing as you have a vested interest in the real estate.

This is a link for Real Estate Attorneys in the area that provide FREE consultations. http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/real-estate-law/new-iberia/louisiana

You are most welcome.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund. You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars? Thank you for your consideration.

Are you still online with me?

I’m still online

Do you have any additional questions for me?

I’ll go ahead and will rate you. One last thing. If my exposure name is ***** ***** the deed . Does she still need to sign the proceeds agreement. Her name is ***** ***** a seller also on the sale agreement contract
Ex-spouse not exposure sorry

If she is not on the deed she should need be the seller as the seller is the owner of record (recorded deed).

Do you have a copy of the deed that you can attach?

I’m looking for it now . May have to go online an order

If you are the only one on the title it cannot be sold/closed without your signature.

Are you still online with me?

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney