Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Is your primary residence with homestead exemption protected…

Customer Question
Is your primary residence...

Is your primary residence with homestead exemption protected in a lawsui in Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

In florida , this is a hypothtical question

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

NO, just a question of clarification

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is all

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/11/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Generally speaking, yes. That is, for unsecured debts and other judgments, it would be. Now if it's a mortgage, home equity loan, etc... that is secured by the property, then the property could still be sold at foreclosure. But otherwise, in a lawsuit where the property is not secured by a mortgage, etc... (assuming the other requirements apply) then homestead protection would apply.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!

ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer