Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a mobile home for sale that someone wanted even gave…

Customer Question
I have a mobile...

I have a mobile home for sale that someone wanted even gave me 1000.00 and paid the lot rent , it is in rented land. Now they say they can't buy it do to family have to move in with them in there house. Do I have to give any money back?l

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Del.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I just wrote up and agreement and had them sigh it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes there is 600.00 due the first of jan. on this property

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/9/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Richard, Lawyer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. No, you would have no obligation to refund the $1,000. The other party is in default of your agreement which puts them in breach of contract. As a result, you have the right to retain any money they have paid you due to that default. One side of a contractual agreement does not get to unilaterally breach a contract and then have the right to benefit by getting their money back.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Just following up. My screen indicates that you have not reviewed my response. Please let me know if you did not receive it so I can re-send it if necessary. Thank you! Richard