Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am trying to find out what to do about a gentleman who is…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to find out what to do about a gentleman who is operating under a business name whose business license expired a year and a half ago and he's trying to act as a real estate broker and agent and is not licensed with the Tennessee real estate commission. He has clouded the title to some property we own

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes he attached an agreement we had with him after it expired onto our deed and said he has ownership in the property. We never received 1 penny from him

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It's a long story but no just that this gentlemen portrayed himself one way as a cash as is buyer and as soon as we headed back to Va he put lock boxes on pur home was showing it to the public . I have videos of all of that . He was trying to assign the title and we were unaware

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/8/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 7 months ago
Olivia Kent

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

ANSWER: What he's doing amounts to fraud. I would contact the sheriff's department. I would also file a complaint with the Tennessee Real Estate Licensing board and also contact the State Attorney General's Office regarding his business. I would change the locks - and get rid of that blockbox unless you consider it absolutely essential. Please let me know if I've answered your question. Could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question (assuming you don't need any clarification - but definitely ask if you do!) so that I receive credit for working with you. It does NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively (3, 4, 5 stars - 5 stars ★★★★★ is definitely appreciated!). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your questions.

That doesn't answer the question about the cloud he put on our clear title
Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 7 months ago

What you'll want to do is sue this individual to compel him to remove his lien on the property. If he isn't willing to do it, well, willingly, you'll want to establish to the court that there is no basis for the lien - and that would be your opportunity to ask for damages for, for example, the time you couldn't sell your home (if that's what you want to do with the property).