Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My apartment is charging $160.00 late payment on 300

Customer Question
my apartment is charging...
my apartment is charging $160.00 late payment on 300 balance. my rent is 1600.00 I paid 1300 on time and 300. 00 later in 2days.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: VA Dumfries
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: connect me
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/8/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Virginia state law does not cover late rent fees. If your lease or rental agreement does not say anything about late fees, your landlord may not impose one, no matter how reasonable it is. As such, you may have a defense, unless this is in your lease and if it is, it would need to be paid as agreed.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Tina, Lawyer