Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can my former husband quick claim a property in my name with…

Customer Question
Can my former husband...

Can my former husband quick claim a property in my name with out telling me?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Colorado Springs

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I dont know

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are to sell the property a split the proceeds and he does not want to take the tax hit, the property is in his name and he sent me a quick claim paper work with my name on it after the devoice

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/8/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Take your time

So, the answer to your question is that he can quit claim his interest in the property only. You still have your interest in the home. You cannot give up your interest without approval. Does that answer your question?

he can quit claim the property over to me without my approval or signature is that correct

I see what you mean. Almost. You still have to agree to accept the quit claim deed if he is going to do that. If he was going to give his share to anyone else, then he could do that; however, if he is going to give his share to you, then it's not complete until you accept, which you can choose to do or not do.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?