Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm having issues with my landlord making repairs. This has…

Customer Question
I'm having issues with...

I'm having issues with my landlord making repairs. This has been going on over 3 weeks now and I have not been able to stay in my apartment the last 4 days. They told me I could return tonight and it's not safe for me to be here. Also my bed is crawling with bedbugs and they're telling me the exterminator won't be out for at least a week. I have no place else to go.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

I'm in Collingswood, NJ. It's the Parkview at Collingswood

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

A steam pipe broke under my apartment making the floor reach temps of 175 degrees. I notified them 3 weeks ago and the issue is still not fixed. I was told verbally that everything had been repaired and that I could return. I have no place to sleep tonight

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have picture I can send. Also there was a huge hole in the wall with the exposed steam pipes that wasn't patched and my cats can get back there

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/8/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 6 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Answer: If your unit is not habitable, the landlord is legally liable for the cost of you renting a hotel and for the cost of food at the hotel. Alternatively, you can also deduct a proportionate amount for rent for the time the unit was not habitable. For example, if you did not stay in the unit for 5 days out of a 31 day month, you would deduct 5/31 of the months rent from your rent payment.

If you elect the first option, make sure to get receipts of everything you will be asking the landlord to reimburse and inform the landlord of this fact. If you elect the second option, make sure to include a letter with your rent payment notifying the landlord of the amount of rent that you are withholding.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Thanks for the response. I live on disability and have no money for a hotel room tonight. The maintenance guy said he was going to call 911 for me but he hasn't done that yet. The property manager will not respond to any calls or messages. I don't know what to do other than to call 911. I don't know if they'll even help me out.
Real Estate Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 6 months ago

The police department really can't do anything about it. You can ask/demand that the landlord provide money immediately for a hotel. Let him know that he is legally required to reimburse you anyway.