Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Regarding this post on your site...I live in Illinois, my…

Customer Question
Regarding this post on...

Regarding this post on your site...I live in Illinois, my neighbor installed 2 backyard surveillance cameras and they are pointing to my backyard and back of my house. I am concerned due to my privacy. What can I do about this?.... so I have contacted the police and have shown and proven their camera points into my bedroom and bathroom. My young kids are scared to take a bath. When does this become stalking and how do I prove that so police take action?? so far they talk to neighbor and he promises not to point into house, however I have cell video to show it does

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Many, many times..... the police said put up your own cameras and I have, however this is a stalemate

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This neighbor has killed my landscape, cut fence posts, painted white line down the boarder of our homes, curses and throws garbage over the fence but is super sneaky

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/8/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking if this is a violation of the law?

Thank you for responding, however this is not my question. I'm confident that the law in Illinois allows security camera viewing public areas, however I do think there is intent in the law that viewing of private space such as into a persons home, specifically a bedroom or bathroom may be boarding illegal, if not illegal. I am also concerned with when does surveillance become stalking, especially when these cameras watch and follow a young child in his own front and back yard? This neighbor has now turned to another form of harassment, as the cameras I have installed to monitor my property borders and landscaping this neighbor has installed a dozen or so high lumen IR lights to blind my cameras viewing. The police again were called as these light now project into my master bedroom.... ps the village has no light trespass laws and the HOA has really thrown up their hands and said this is civil and not our issue... and so the other harassment continues, new mature bushes have mysteriously died, more garbage in the yard which has brought in skunks, raccoons and coyotes, whereas my dogs can no longer be safe in my yard. I trust any lawyer will tell me to move, which is the neighbors goal, but these harassment's must be illegal in some form and I'm desperately trying to prove this to the police in a form they will act on....however this neighbors father in law owns a strip mall in this village and the police tend to give this couple every benefit of doubt while he covers his bases and lies to make this sound as if I am harassing him. (ps we do not speak to the neighbor nor confront them whatsoever) I have installed plywood boards to my meager 4 foot picket fence, which is a HOA violation for sure, however the only option I have to attempt to block the lighting... however he just buys more lights and keeps moving them. Police have been called twice but do not feel they have a law or village ordinance they can act on. Bottom-line, we are prisoners in our own home, my children are scared, rarely can we go outside without verbal harassment or some version of mild to extreme property damage

Thank you for that detailed information.

So what is your specific question regarding this? I understand you are frustrated, but I do not see a question.

I'm not sure you are able to help... appears you see my statement as venting and are not seeing the questions raised around stalking, proving criminal acts to the police etc... appreciate your attempt to engage, but this has not helped, thank you

I see a lot of information...but no question. I am happy to answer any questions you may have...but do not want to spend time telling you stuff you do not want to hear...

Can you speak on the phone? This would allow me to address your concerns directly. There is a nominal ($5) additional charge. I do not time my phone calls...we can converse until you receive the information you need.

Tina, Lawyer