Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can my family friend deed a house over to me using not my…

Customer Question
Can my family friend...

Can my family friend deed a house over to me using not my legal name for example, instead of Linda Layla Smith (my lega name) it be L.L. Smith? on the deed? fi the person deeding it over to me knows who I am and is ok with it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/7/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: The problem with the situation you have described is that you would have difficulty proving that you own the property. The property should be taken in your legal name to ensure that you can prove ownership of the property.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.