Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

What is my best course of action on deliquent return of

Customer Question
What is my best...

What is my best course of action to follow up on deliquent return of rental and pet deposit? 30 days from turning over keys was 23 October, 45 days was early November.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Old Jefferson Louisiana, Jefferson Parish

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No, is there paperwork to be filed? With whom?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There was a question about "30 day notice" ~~ i had an attorney (in another state ~ Virginia) review lease and she indicated that the lease did not tie the 30 days to the date i pay rent each month (which would be the 1st of the month) so i should have been able to submit 30 days on teh 23rd of August. I did pay the full 30 days for September, noting i would have an attorney look at to see about getting September rent prorated, landlord seemed to think that i had to pay full amount because my lease is month to month (had been for 2 years after first year of a one year lease) turned keys over on 23 september, Rent deposit was supposed to be 30 days and pet deposit 45 days. Tried being patient, to take the high road, but it is way over due now.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/7/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
On review of your facts, you have a good case.You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
This does not answer my question of what the best course of action is or how to proceed.