Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

In an R2 in the state of California can you have 2 dwellings…

Customer Question
Hey Pearl - In...

Hey Pearl - In an R2 in the state of California can you have 2 dwellings on 1 lot separated by a fence?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

To the city saying there are two houses on one plot?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are tenants

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/7/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Can you tell me the city so I can check the zoning code?

Redondo Beach, CA

Perfect. Give me a few moments to pull up the zoning laws for Redondo Beach.

So you can see where I am researching I am using this link http://qcode.us/codes/redondobeach/

An R2 designation is for Multiple-Family Residential Zones

In R2 two houses can be on one lot depending on the lost size.

"(a) Lot area per dwelling unit. The maximum number of dwelling units permitted on a lot shall be as follows:

(1) Lots less than 6,000 square feet: one dwelling unit.

(2) Lots 6,000 square feet or greater: not more than one dwelling unit for each 2,984 square feet of lot area.

(b) Permitted lot combinations. Two (2) or more lots may be combined only when all of the requirements of subsections (b)(1), (b)(2), and (b)(3) of this section are satisfied. (This subsection is not intended to permit the combination of two (2) or more typical or standard-sized lots or to permit developments of a mass and scale inconsistent with the character of the neighborhood.)

(1) One of the following conditions exists:

a. One or more of the lots is less than 5,000 square feet in area, or

b. One or more of the lots has no legal access from a public street or alley, or

c. One or more of the lots is subject to other unique circumstances such as unusual lot size, shape or topography, and the combining of the lots will help achieve an improved development more consistent with the character of development in the neighborhood;

(2) A parcel map is approved pursuant to the standards and requirements set forth in Chapter 1, Title 10 of the Municipal Code and the Subdivision Map Act; and

(3) The proposed combination is brought in connection with applications for Administrative Design Review, or Planning Commission Design Review and a Conditional Use Permit for a development consistent with the development standards applicable to the zone.

(c) Building height. No building or structure shall exceed a height of thirty (30) feet (see definition of building height in Section 10-2.402).

(d) Stories. No building shall exceed two (2) stories (see definition of story in Section 10-2.402).

(e) Setbacks. The minimum setback requirements shall be as follows:

(1) Front setback. The front setback shall average no less than twenty (20) feet, but at no point be less than fifteen (15) feet.

(2) Side setback. There shall be a minimum side setback of five (5) feet the full length of the lot, except as follows:

a. Single-family dwellings on lots less than fifty feet in width. Additions to existing single-family dwellings constructed on lots less than fifty (50) feet in width, with existing side setbacks of less than five (5) feet, shall be permitted to match the existing side setback, provided that the side setback shall not be less than ten (10%) percent of the width of the lot.

b. Lots exceeding fifty feet of frontage. The side setback requirement shall increase one foot for each fifty (50) feet or fraction thereof of lot frontage in excess of the first fifty (50) feet of lot frontage.

(3) Rear setback. The rear setback shall average no less than fifteen (15) feet, but at no point be less than ten (10) feet.

(f) Outdoor living space. A minimum amount of outdoor living space shall be provided on each improved lot according to the number and type of dwelling units constructed on such lot as follows: (see standards for outdoor living space in Section 10-2.1510).

(1) Single-family dwelling: 800 square feet.

(2) Condominiums: 450 square feet per dwelling unit.

(3) Multiple-family dwellings: 400 square feet per dwelling unit.

(g) General regulations. (including, but not limited to, accessory structures, projections into setbacks, and fences and walls) See Article 3 of this chapter.

(h) Parking regulations. See Article 5 of this chapter.

(i) Sign regulations. See Article 6 of this chapter.

(j) Landscaping regulations. See Article 7 of this chapter.

(k) Procedures. See Article 12 of this chapter.

(Ord. 2756 c.s., eff. January 18, 1996, as amended by Ord. 2786 c.s., eff. January 2, 1997, Ord. 2801 c.s., eff. June 5, 1997, and § 6, Ord. 2957 c.s., eff. February 17, 2005)" http://qcode.us/codes/redondobeach/

What is the lot size?

Can you tell me the lot size?

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.

Are you still online with me?