Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I rented a room from a friend, the agreement was verbal.

Customer Question
I rented a room...

I rented a room from a friend, the agreement was verbal. After about 8 months she said it was not going to work out and I needed to find a place. I did and moved before the end of the month, which was already paid for. I forgot I left my weight set there and was notified by a friend that she had it for sale on the internet. Is she allowed to do this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Oregon, wasco county

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No she just put it on facebook for sale

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

No, she is not. Someone in your situation wants to send a demand letter to have her return the weight set. If she does not do so, then she may be sued in small claims court for the amount the weight set is worth, and/or, to get it back.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

do you have an Oregon law code to show this

My apologies for the wait. This is called conversion, which is essentially civil theft. In Oregon, conversion is an "intentional exercise of dominion or control over a chattel which so seriously interferes with the right of another to control it that the actor may justly be required to pay the other the full value of the chattel." Mustola v. Toddy, 253 Or. 658, 663, 456 P.2d 1004 (1969) adopting Restatement (Second) of Torts § 222A(1) (1965).

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"