How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 129493
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hired a law group to assist me with foreclosure and no

Customer Question

i hired a law group to assist me with foreclosure and no help was provided and i lost my home. i need to know what other options i have with lender to gain my property back
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: virginia and yes. i just found out everything yesterday due my lawyer stating everything was good.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, since i was not represented properly, i just want know how i can fight back to regain my home through legal action if i can
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

If the attorney representing you did something that caused you to lose the house, you would need to sue the lawyer for malpractice. Unfortunately, many times if you are in default on a mortgage, the attorney is fighting an uphill battle, so before you know if the attorney did what he should have done, you need to get your case file back and go to a new attorney for review of the file, if the new attorney finds there were mistakes in the representation, while you might not be able to appeal to get your home back, you could then sue the attorney for malpractice and seek to recover the value their improper representation caused you to lose.

The courts hold that if a person has poor legal representation, that is not grounds to vacate or change a judgment, so you cannot use that as a basis for appeal. The new attorney will also review the case for legal issues to see if there are legal issues for appeal, but if there are none then you have to have him examine misconduct of the prior attorney to sue the attorney for malpractice.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.