Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

A building contractor did water damaged work on my apartment…

Customer Question
a building contractor did water...
a building contractor did water damaged work on my apartment and i signed a contract with him and after the work was done
he changed the dollar amount to a higher amount. the contract stated not to exceed the $15,000.00. Is this a null and void contract. I have not paid the higher amount and he is taken me to small claims court
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/6/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. If you are being sued, you can either a) bring a counter suit or b) put up a defense. You could countersue for breach of contract if the person said that the amount would not go over $15k, and it ended up doing so anyway. You could also use the fact that you did not breach the contract as a defense. There are so many other defenses that you could put up, but one thing I would strongly recommend is if you click here. You can see what the CA courts have used to help people understand their contract rights and help them put up a fight if they go to small claims court.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?