Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I recently purchased a condo in April. The seller claimed…

Customer Question
Hi there, i recently...

Hi there, i recently purchased a condo in April. The seller claimed there was no "special assessment" on the purchase and sale agreement. Shortly thereafter, we were sent a bill for "special assessment". It turns out there was an assessment and he was notified. It is for $5500. I feel that there are many parties responsible, the seller, the real estate attorney we used, the association, and the realtor. Would I have a case if I brought the seller to small claims? We sent 2 demand letters that went unanswered.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusetts.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

What kind of paperwork?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/7/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Bruce Schreiber, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Bruce Schreiber

Hi. I am the expert that will be answering your questions.

A better course of action for you, rather than suing the Seller, would be to contact your title insurance company. At the time of closing, if you took a mortgage you were required to buy a Title Insurance Policy protecting the lender. You should have been given the option of purchasing an OWNER'S policy as well. If you did, then that policy should provide protection for you if the Assessment was overlooked.

Check your closing statement and/or contact your Attorney about whether you have this policy.

Do you have further questions?

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

The site does not credit the Attorneys unless the customer rates our service positively. Thank you for your consideration. Please feel free to ask more questions and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Lawyer