Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If you are a Tenant at Will, and lived there for 10 yrs,

Customer Question
If you are a...

If you are a Tenant at Will, and lived there for 10 yrs, paying rent with utilities included, they have raised your rent over the cost of years,then decided that you now have to pay for utilities but, will not allowed you to put it in your name..... so question is, can they do this. This is a private home ( Basement apt)

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Is there any type of written lease or is this a month to month tenancy?

.

Has the landlord provided any written notice of the proposed changes?

.

.

thanks

no, it was done verbally
this is a month to month

Ok, then while the landlord can change the terms of a month to month at any time, they have to do so with proper notice. Verbal means nothing legally and they would have to give you a written 30 day notice of the change in the terms of the tenancy and then you would either refuse and find alternate housing or agree by remaining there and the new change would become effective 30 days later..

.

But until they give you written notice, they haven't complied with the law..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer