Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My husband died..we are both on the deed of own home, we…

Customer Question
My husband died..we are...

My husband died..we are both on the deed of own home, we have lived there for 40 years, he a the buyer and I am the co-buyer, what do I do now-the house is not paid off

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/6/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation and thank you for your patience. If you are on the title to the house, but there is still no mortgage, then there is not much that you need to do other than to make sure that you're continuing to pay on the home. If you are the executor or personal representative of his estate, then you will need to get a quit claim deed transferring the property from you and him over to just you. You'll then need to file it at your county recorder's office and then the government will see you as the sole owner of the property. This means that you can sell it, get a new mortgage, or do whatever else you need to do with the property. You can go to a site like legalzoom.com or rocketlawyer.com to find a quit claim deed for something around $20.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?