Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a sales contract for some land the state's in the…

Customer Question
I have a sales contract...
I have a sales contract for some land the state's in the Addendum A, " seller will reserve 50 % of owned mineral interest. Seller will not maintain right Of ingress and egress if within the in 10 years from the recording date of the deed of this transaction there is no mineral production on the property all mineral rights reserved by the seller will return to the buyer. "First question is If there is production would we not then retain all mineral rights reserved by seller.?
They are now in a separate deal including a small portion of this very land try in g to reword it to say ::In one Warranty Deed with Vendor’s Lien dated August 31, 2015, filed In Volume 733, at Page 856 of the Official Public Records of Lamb County Texas, Grantor’s reserved one-half of the oil, gas and other minerals owned by them, in under or that may be produced from the above-described property for a period of ten (10) years from the date of filing of that deed, such minerals ipso facto and absolutely to vest in Grantees at the end of ten (10) years unless production has been obtained in paying quantities, and if it has been so obtained, then the same to continue as long as same is so produced in paying quantities. THIS LAST SENTENCE IS A GAME CHANGER IF I AM CORRECT. Would this now give them the rights the second they stop producing in paying quanties after the 10 year Mark, if agreed to in a new deed , when they originally didn't have such a benefit? THEY STATE THIS IS WHAT WAS IN THE FIRST CONTRACT BUT I AM LOOKING AT IN FRONT OF ME WITH MY OWN 2 EYES AND HAVE QUOTED IT CORRECTLY.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/6/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

Just so I understand, are you the seller here?

I don't think I read it the same way. I think they get to retain rights if production is in paying quantities. But after the 10 year mark, then they lose all rights.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer