Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

There is 5 acres of land behind me. It is a vacant lot with…

Customer Question
There is 5 acres...

There is 5 acres of land behind me. It is a vacant lot with an ingress egress easement through the north 30 feet of my property. Do I have to allow utilities to be ran through the easment

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

The easement is recorded. The property behind us is under contract

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know what I would need to say

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/6/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

This depends entirely on what the easement says... if it states it is only for ingress/egress purposes, then you only have to allow them to cross your land to reach theirs and that is it. You wouldn't have to allow them to run any type of utilities to the property.

.

But if the easement grants them rights to cross over as well as run utilities, obviously you would. So you need to read the actual easement to see what rights it grants the holder.

.

.

thanks

Here is the easment

That appears to only grant ingress/egress rights, not the right to install any type of utility service.. So if that is the entire easement that is recorded, then no, you have no duty to allow them to run utilities across your land unless you reach some agreement with them (normally a payment).

.

.

thanks