Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I need information. I am in a situation with a landlord who…

Customer Question
Hi,I need information Lawyer's...

Hi,I need information

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Hi Pearl, I am in a situation with a landlord who is holding my personal property and my children's personal property after an eviction has already been executed. I was told by the owner that I had as much time as I needed to retrieve our belongings. On the 15th day I contacted the owners to have my brother and sister pick up our belongings I was told by the landlord that no one was there and we missed the deadline to retrieve our personal belongings. What do I need to do to retrieve my belongings immediately? Is there an attorney I can retain for this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

There was paper filed for vacate. But I haven't filed anything since we have vacated. I am in the process of doing what we need to do to recover our property.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know what our right are and how we can legally recover our property. The property is worth over $70,000

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
The Address is*****Encino California 91316
I also have text messages saved from the conversation I had with the owners son on the 15th day after my children and I vacated the premises. I told him I could have someone retrieve our property for us because I was out of state. I also had a verbal agreement (which is legal in the state of CA) with the owner herself that she would give us as much time as we needed to retrieve our property. There were three witnesses ( the two sheriff's who executed the vacate order and the owners brother in law) I am a single father of two and all we have left in the world is in that home.
12/6/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

The landlord is required to release your personal property to you under California law. They can hold you accountable for the past due rent but they cannot seize your property and hold it ransom.

Please rate five stars ***** and press send.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Checking in to see if you are satisfied with the answer and are ready to close out the question or if you need something else from me.

Thanks and best wishes.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer