Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Do HOAs have to have a Covenants Committee? If yes, do HOA…

Customer Question
Do HOAs have to...

Do HOAs have to have a Covenants Committee? If yes, do HOA statutes dictate the composition of such a committee?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Sorry, this is in Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not clear on your question. We are a Homeowners Association and I wanted to know whether we are required to have a Covenants Committee.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If we are required to have such a committee, is the composition mandated?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/5/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. HOA's generally do not need to have a specific covenants committee in your state. HOAs are allowed to create subcommittees for certain things, so long as they are not all board members on that particular committee. However, the HOA is allowed to create subcommittees to perhaps go over covenants, but at least one person cannot be a board member.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?