Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

The short story is that I live in a neighborhood where

Customer Question
The short story is...

The short story is that I live in a neighborhood where everyone is on 5 wooded acres. My neighbor became obsessed about my dogs. She complained about them getting on her property( note her dogs were commonly on mine) so I fenced the entire property. She then called the city about me building a fence without a permit. She was constantly walking my fence line including fenced areas not on her yard. So I let her know that if she continued I would consider harassment charges. So she quit, but now she has a wildlife camera on her land that is approximately 10 feet away from my welded wire fence that is pointed toward my house. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No not yet. I’m trying to avoid escalating. She complained about barking, so I installed anti bark devices and made sure my dogs were indoors. It seems she gets upset even when I try to fix the problem

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She screamed at my friends when they helped me build the fence. Several have witnessed her odd behavior. I had suspected her of harassing my dogs at night to get them barking . A friend and I saw someone at the back fence one night when the dogs were barking, but we couldn’t positively ID her although the person took off toward her property when I saw them. I had suspected her of coming onto my property and entering my home. I believe she had a key from the previous owners so I changed locks and installed cameras

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/5/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

While waiting for a response, please do not keep asking questions, such as "Are you there", etc. since that can erase whatever I am writing and also interrupts the thought process. I will be back with you as soon as I can do any research necessary, formulate a response, and type it in.

So long as the camera is on her property or on public property and is showing images that could be seen if a person was standing there then the photography is legal. The only exception to this rule is if the activity is happening in a place a "reasonable person would have an expectation of privacy". This is generally understood to mean bathrooms, bedrooms, etc.

It could also, for example, mean an area within a yard covered by a privacy fence and when someone had mounted a camera so high on a pole or a tree that it looked over the privacy fence. It likely wouldn't include a non-privacy fence though (x. a cyclone fence that you could see through).

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Even if you are a subscriber or have a trial membership please leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so that the website knows I have answered your question.