Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We have a renter living next door and the neighbors have…

Customer Question
We have a renter...

We have a renter living next door and the neighbors have reported to the police regarding drugs domestic abuse many problems.. I have called the landlord many times regarding problems going on over there and he will never return your call. Heviscawarebof the problems but says he can't do anything unless prof. I think I heard of a nudicance law that the landlord is given a called and they have to do something about the matter? This is a quiet neighborhood and to have this going on it is not good. Any thing you might suggest?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Des Moines iowa. Highland park area

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not sure as the police has been there many times. 3 times on thanksgiving.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just tired of the problems being there.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/5/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

If the landlord will not take action to remove the tenant based on the conduct you have described, then as neighbors you could sue the landlord AND the tenant both for nuisance. To succeed on a nuisance suit, you have to prove more than just people are calling, you have to prove that these domestic issues and drug issues are indeed happening to the court and that it is causing decrease in property value and/or a safety concern for the residents of the neighborhood. The court would have to evaluate that evidence and can order the party evicted.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Any answer?

Thank you for your reply.

There was an answer provided above, perhaps our communications crossed paths. Please look above and if you have any follow up questions please use reply and I would be pleased to answer them.

Sounds good but will have to think about what we the neighbors think? We can't prove ourselves only seeing it from our eyes. Thanks for your response . Is the $5.00 refundable? Thanks!!

Thank you for your reply.

Whatever agreement you entered into with the site is between you and the site. Keep in mind the experts are NOT employees of the site, we are independent users like you and we have taken our valuable time to try to provide you the information you were seeking and we have done so. We are not here to be able to represent customers or even guarantee results, we promise to provide information to customers based on the law and the facts they provide to us, which we have done.

Keep that in mind when please being considerate enough to leave positive feedback for the expert who gets no credit for time spent with you unless you do so and if you refund your payment, the expert receives no credit.

Best wishes to you and hopefully your neighbors decide to do more than just complain, but that is up to them.