Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My neighbor says my side wall is 2 feet on his property I…

Customer Question
My neighbor says my...

My neighbor says my side wall is 2 feet on his property I have lived in the house for 23 years he bought his 12 years ago is my wall grandfathered in?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Anaheim California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/5/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

ok

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

NO

Oh, that’s not a problem with the phone call. The system automatically asks if you want one, but there is no problem declining the request. One moment while I review your situation.

It's a simple and straight forward question, please give me a simple answer.
Thank you

Hi, I'm a slow typer, but I"m actively typing your answer. I'll be with you in a moment...

No

I'm sorry, but are you willing to wait 2-3 minutes while I type up your answer?

Ok, I have concerns that your expectations and understanding of how this site works may not be something that I am willing to work with. Accordingly, I will opt out and hopefully within the next few hours someone will respond. Thank you.

Real Estate Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

I am a different expert. Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The concept of "grandfathering" does not apply to disputes regarding private property.

BUT there is a law that is called "Adverse Possession." This law allows a person to claim property that thye have been using as their own after a certain period of time has passed.

It sounds like your situation is one of adverse possession and that you have a claim to this property.

Here is an excellent summary of the law on this:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/row/landsurveys/Study_material/California-Adverse-Possession.pdf

These types of cases can become complicated. So if your neighbor does sue you you will want a real estate attorney to represent you.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer