Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I own a condo unit. My renter reported an electrical shock…

Customer Question
I own a condo...

I own a condo unit. My renter reported an electrical shock when showering and touching the water supply valve. New occurrence and no work done in my unit. Immediately I reported this to the property management co. They hired an electrician who came out and found no problem however my renter could conclusively demonstrate an electrical charge was present. I hired an electrical engineer who came out and verified the problem and ascertained that the issue originated outside of my unit. 2 months later and the property management co has not yet hired anyone to diagnose and fix the issue. What recourse do I have ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Seattle WA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

With whom

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/5/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Have you been able to duplicate and document the electrical shock issue repeatedly?

.

Have you put in any request for the Association to take action in writing sent to the President or Board certified mail?

.

What does the engineer opine is the source of the problem?

.

.

thanks

My communication has been with the representative from the property management company to the board and has been through email.
Yes the problem is easily verifiable with a volt meter.
The electrical engineering firm I hired found the charge to the water pipes occurred outside of my unit, somewhere else in the building that is undetermined.
He believed a bond (ground) has failed on one of the buildings water supply lines. His report was sent to the property management firm who acknowledged receipt

Ok, emails aren't good enough to create a legal paper trail. You need to send a written demand via certified mail to whoever is in charge stating that this poses a safety hazard and if they don't take immediate action to correct the problem, you will file suit under a breach of contract action and seek an injunction from a judge ordering them to abate the dangerous condition as well as seeking damages for your legal costs in pursuing this..

.

Once they get that letter, that should spur them to action to find and fix the problem as there are only a few areas where a ground could have been dislodged or damaged in an electrical system.

.

.

thanks

Thank you

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much